Sunday, July 13, 2014

Shibori Goddess Gown

This summer season I have been obsessed with Shibori dying. I love the richness of the indigo coloring and the fantastic, whimsical dying patterns. I knew right away I wanted to make a maxi dress swirling with that color and shape.


This fabric was hand-dyed using the Itajime method I found here on a 100% Egyptian cotton sheet. Yes, a sheet ladies and gentlemen. At the time the budget was scarce, but now I am thankful because it has to be the softest dress in my closet.


This gown was the bastard child of two different patterns and my imagination run amok. I used two pieces from this McCall's pattern to form the bodice and the skirt came from Simplicity's project runway collection. Together they created exactly what I envisioned. I modified the back of the dress by adding braided fabric pieces that trail from the neckline to the waist.


Furthermore, I used the totally bomb triangular stitching setting on my sewing machine to embroider the waist-line and bodice pieces. It adds a little bit of texture and visual interest to the neckline. 



I am completely in love with my creation. It feels beautiful and romantic, with sexy, edgy bits. When I wear it I feel like I belong on some gorgeous Tahitian beach with the sun setting over the water and white swathed bungalows in the backdrop. But, for now it keeps me company in the sweltering Kentucky heat.


***
Dress: self-made, necklace: Urban Outfitters, shoes: Audrey Brooke

No comments:

Post a Comment