Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Open Back Polka-Dot Dress

A few years back I was not a huge fan of polka dots. I think they reminded me too much of the flowery dresses I wore as a little kid. Polka dots struck me as childish, too obvious, and maybe a tad garish.

Talk about 360's.

Now, not only do I approve of polka dots, I shamelessly adorn myself in them. Polka dot high-waisted shorts, polka dot tops, polka dot rain coats, and, of course, polka dot sundresses.





This dress was a brain child, born of an Anthropologie inspiration and a Forever 21 dress from my closet. I had a lot of fun making this. I actually crafted the pattern for the bodice by laying parchment paper over the top of my Forever 21 dress and tracing the bodice outline. Supremely easy and instantly satisfying. I added darting to the new top to ensure a form-tight fit. The skirt is comprised of 3 tiered pieces.




This polka dot dress is bohemian gypsy meets 1960s glamour. The fabric is a polyester blend with a light sheen and lovely drape. The backless bodice adds a touch of the scandalous, but in a good way. I like to think of it as the innocent but rebellious tattoo on a classy lady. I look forward to pairing it with a thick sweater and tasseled booties this fall.

Yes, I definitely dig the dots now.


***
dress: self-made, jacket: thrifted, shoes: Life Stride


No comments:

Post a Comment