Sunday, August 2, 2015

A View from Above

 Week one has come to a close.

The last week of July was also my first week of living solely in Long Beach. It has been a week of dichotomies, being both stressful and empty, quiet and eventful.

The stress is mainly work related, therefore making it both tedious and frustrating. The emptiness comes from the absence of one Mr. Justin Jones who is busy learning the ins and outs of the Embraer 175. The quiet is my life once I get home from work, and the eventful involves mini-tornados of kids at work, a gas leak in the kitchen, lizards in the house, and LA traffic.

Week one down.

Regardless of the drama, or lack of it, I have made it through one week. I have been briefly reunited with my love and gotten the opportunity to explore more of this fascinating city.


Over the weekend Justin and I have been on the search for excellent driving roads, scenic overlooks, and local dives. We spent Saturday in the Belmont Shore and 2nd Street area of Long Beach, exploring darling little boutiques, popping into creperies and pizza parlors, and lounging around our beachy bungalow drinking wine. This Sunday we drove to Rancho Palos Verdes to enjoy gorgeous views from the hilly roadsides.




I feel like I am on a never-ending vacation.

Despite the daily forays into work, the boundless sunshine and energetic hustle of the city leave me feeling like I am on an endless summer vacation. Californians don't know how good they have it. My co-workers complain about the scorching heat (85 degrees in the sun, 66 in the evening), the terrible humidity (50%), and the possibility of rain (maybe <1 inch in the next month). Those of us Kentucky bred know better.

But this post isn't just about my latest California experiences (as wild as they may be), but also to showcase my latest sewing creation: a tie-front dress with cut-out.


Those of you who have been following my blog may remember a dress very similar to this one from last year. This tie-front dress was my first attempt, wrought with poorly installed zippers, uneven darting, and an awkwardly shaped bodice. Needless to say, it needed to be re-vamped.

This latest version has an elastic waist, gathered detailing on the back bodice, side pockets, and a much more functional front-tying bodice. I used my favourite dress pattern to create the front and back bodices, HEAVILY modifying the style to create the front-ties. I used the same skirt from the pattern, using the elastic to create gathers rather than the typical pleats.




The fabric is a polyester blend in a ditsy floral pattern that I find so appealing. I am in *love* with subtle little florals. It says feminine without being overpowering. This fabric was from my local Hancock's Fabrics back in Louisville, KY. I am so excited to check out the fabric stores here in LA. It's lucky my closet is bigger, because I foresee many a new sewing project in my future. 

This dress is light and breezy, simple yet girly, with just enough skin to whisper hello. It looks cute in everything from flats to chunky heeled clogs, and is appropriate for ambling along the beach or drinking margaritas alfresco. Basically a must-love.




I want to take a moment to thank a few people. Thank you dad for all your support and wisdom that you have lavished upon Justin and me. Thanks mom for listening to my semi-hysterical phone calls and all of your prayers. And thanks to my bestie Sarah who must have the gift of foresight, because that jar of Nutella you gave me has saved my life.

Dress: self-made, shoes: DSW, necklace: Etsy

No comments:

Post a Comment