Saturday, March 28, 2015

Italia Part 1: Venice

This whole adventure started sometime back in January. 

My parents were over for dinner. Bless their souls, they are always willing to be guinea pigs for my culinary creations. This night it happened to be mozzarella-stuffed meatballs and spaghetti. Little did I know the meal was a foreshadowing of things to come.  

We had been discussing the upcoming spring break, Justin and I's desire for travel, and possible future plans. My wonderfully generous dad revealed that he would like to treat us to a trip. 

"Where would you all like to go?" He asked. 

In my mind I believed we would all end up in Florida, splayed out on white sands, the picture of a typical spring break. But shooting for stars I exclaimed, "Hawaii!"

My dad said, "I am thinking Italy." And so the dream began. 


Justin and I decided to make this trip bigger than anticipated and left a few days earlier than my parents, planning to spend a few days in Venice before driving down to meet them in Rome. They say Paris is for lovers, but let me tell you, so is Venice.

We missed Carnival by a few weeks, but the stores sell masks for the festivities all year long.

Justin along the canal outside our hotel, the Hilton Molino Stucky.

Exploring the back streets of Venice.



 Justin at the Arsenal where wartime ships were build, one a day.

Exploring gorgeous Italian churches.

The grand canal.

Fruit and vegetable vendors selling their goods from boats along little canals.

Venetian graffiti.

Aerial view of the Doge's Palace and wharf.

Aerial view of Venice.

Breakfast at Cafe Florian, favourite haunt of Lord Byron and Goethe.


A gondola ride along the grand canal with view of the Rialto.


Our adorable gondolier who spoke four languages.

The Italian version of Justin's middle name is Alessandro. 

Taking pictures in St. Mark's Square.

In front of the St. Mark's Basilica


Sunrise view from our hotel window the last morning in Venice.

P.S. I took a million pictures but these were just some of my favourites. Next stop, Roma!

1 comment:

  1. These pics (and you!) are gorgeous!!! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete